Friday, January 23, 2009

My newfound love

For years I've wanted to learn the guitar. It amazes me what music can come from such an instrument! My oldest hermano Joshua picked it up when I was a little girl, and now he's freakin awesome at it. In the past couple years, my younger hermano Steven started playin too, and he's got the talent for sure. My grandma taught me piano when I was younger, and since then I've taught myself enough just to have fun and play around with. I love it muchos. But the guitar....that's always been on my mind! In high school I wanted to take guitar and dance as my electives. Dance was always a given, as for I couldn't ever go a semester without it. Somehow they screwed up my schedule and left out dance, but gave me guitar. I was bummed. I was also the ONLY girl in the class. I had to have dance, and nothing would take its place, so I switched it up and dropped guitar class for dance.

Now that I've told you something that means nothing to you, here is one of my TOP New Year's Resolutions that I wrote at the beginning of the month: Learn to play the guitar. CHECK! I bought a Johnson Acoustic, steel string, black, smaller body. Its really nice and the sound is good, considering I'm a beginner and trying to see if I can tackle this life long goal of mine. I'm way stoked. And I love it. I've been watching youtube videos to learn basic chords. There's one guy in particular that I really enjoy. Short, but informative. I have fun just sitting there strummin away, pretending I know what I'm doing. Loving the tenderness of my fingertips after playing, and anxiously awaiting the soon to be callouses! I know it'll take a while. Even though I play piano, the stretching and movement of playing the guitar is mucho different-o. I also hope I get really good, because I fell in love with this beautiful Dean guitar. It had my name ALL over it. But....it was muchooooo expensive. It'll be my treat later in life :)

I'm excited for my bro Josh to come home. He can teach me all he knows, and we can jam like there's no tomorrow. Steven and I came up with a great idea (well, I think its great at least), we are going to form a family band! He and Josh will play guitar, I've got the keyboard, Frank is on the drums, Emily fluting the flute and Nate will bust out his trumpet. My mom will sing some tunes and my dad will be dressed in his mariachi outfit dancing around with a tambourine in hand. We'll be famous. Or...infamous. (That's more than famous).

Moral of this random blog post: I bought a guitar. And I'm way excited about it :)


3 comments:

Katie said...

New goals and hobbies are ALWAYS exciting. Go kick butt doing it! You have a talent for music.

Lisa Andrews said...

Where the heck is a stinkin' picture?!

Unknown said...

That's fun. I heard that ITUNES launched a series of Guitar lessons through ITUNES... you should check that out.