Monday, April 14, 2008

Camping Season has begun...

I recently went camping this weekend with a few of the best people I know. Me and a friend had been planning the trip for about a month now, and we were going to the location I grew up camping = White River. We didn't want to stay only one night, since it was a 3 1/2 hour drive. I've come to realize that people don't camp much these days. When telling people we were camping for 3 days they were astounded- What are you going to do for THREE whole days?! My question is- What NOT are you going to do? No cell phone, work, school or stress. What is better than that? Yes. Luckily my great friend B-rad is as passionate about camping as I am.

The group we had together was a fun one, about 8 people. Two weeks before the date to leave we added even two more. This was going to be spectacular, and a great start to a season full of camping. The week before we were supposed to go, a few people backed out. The week OF the trip, a couple more backed out. We were down to 4 lucky souls. Brad, Matt, Lisa and myself. Lesson learned= you can't really rely on people. Lesson already learned= our group was amazing!! We had experienced California in September of 07, and knew we had a heck of a time together. Despite our original game plan... this new one worked out rather nicely.


Since I wanted to be there at least 3 days, Brad and I headed up early Friday morning. We reached our designated spot after only a few "scenic detours". Once we were on the right road, we had almost crossed the bridge to our campground when a squirrel darted across the dirt road. Brad slammed on his brakes, and pulled out his 40. Yes, more target practice. BAM. His aim is really good. After a few camera shots, we were on our way again.

We set up camp rather quickly and to our luck there was only one other group of campers up the river from us. We had nature to ourselves the WHOLE weekend. We spent the last couple hours of daylight fishing, which brought no reward besides some friendly bonding time. It started getting dark, and the temperatures were dropping rapidly. I grew up in the desert part of Arizona, so me and the cold don't get along. A fire was quickly made and my hands and toes were happy. . . momentarily. As Brad and I were enjoying the nature and getting ready for our friends to join us, Lisa and Matt had departed and were on their way to meet us. They left at 6:30 that night, expecting to meet up with us no later than 10. So when 10 came around, we were excited to see our friends. Time went by, the weather got colder, and we got sleepy. Midnight struck and we were faced with two choices:
1) Go look for them, resulting in the possibility of their finding our camp spot and not knowing its ours.
2) Get some sleep. If they find us, it will be a lot later. If they don't find us, they will find somewhere to sleep overnight and we will find them easier in the daylight.

We chose option number 2. As soon as we got on the road, we found them!! Woohoo. Party time.


The next day was filled will more unsuccessful fishing. I don't get why those dang fish aren't
smarter and know to bite worms that are generously put in the water for them, unable to get away. However, that afternoon, as I was about to lay my head down for a nap, Matt decided to entertain us. He has a friend that can do standing back tucks. Matt can do back flips, so he figured he'd be able to perform one of these tricks just as simply. He asked Lisa to spot him. . . she's never spotted before. Brad pulls out his camera, wanting to capture this moment on film. Here he goes. 1. . . 2. . . 3. . FLip. . . bam. Awww choot. I am almost positive you are supposed to land on your feet, but Matt decided to land on his face. I knew it, I envisioned that happening before he did it. I thought- Great, I've been to the ER in Show Low twice before, now we're making it a third! Brad and I came to the conclusion that guys and girls think completely differently about the same situation. My thoughts before Matt flipped - Landing on his face. Or his neck, possibly breaking it and being paralyzed, or worse. . . Brad's thoughts- Sweet he's gonna flip and totally land it. If he can do it standing, lets see him do it off the tailgate of my truck. We've changed the story a little bit. From the video, its obvious Lisa was just trying out her kung fu moves on Matt and totally flipped him over onto his face. Lisa should be given her blackbelt by now.


We went fishing up at Hawley Lake later that evening with the last few hours of day light. It was chilly, and there was still snow patches around the lake. Unsuccessful fishing once again. Between Lisa trying to throw Matt in the snow and Brad and I catching lady bugs and crawdads, we made the most of it. As we walked around the lake- which was beautiful by the way- we saw a guy and his dad with like 10 fish they caught. In the same location as us! What were we doing wrong. . .
That last night was filled with laughter, random thoughts, spaghetti, stale s'mores, Sobe bombs and cold toes. Turned out to be mighty fine. Once again, the four of us had one spectacular trip!


No comments: