Friday, April 18, 2008

That Good Part

One of my favorite stories in the scriptures is found in the New Testament, in the book of Luke. It is only a few verses long, Chapter 10 verses 38-42. Martha and Mary, two sisters, welcome Jesus into their home. He begins to teach, and Mary sits at his feet to listen to His words. As Mary sits, Martha is up and about trying to tidy the house, and prepare dinner and make things just right for their very special guest. As she noticed Mary just sitting, she said "Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me." She didn't understand why Jesus would allow Mary to just sit, and not be up helping her prepare everything. In response "Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her."


These two sisters both had very good intentions. Martha wanted to make the home clean and prepare everything nicely for Christ. Mary wanted to sit and hear the word of Christ. The thing to consider is, do the trivial things from day to day often take precedence over the more important, and eternal aspects of our lives? As I consider this, I realize how much effort I put into stressing about things that shouldn't be stressed about. Taking time to clean my house, or do the laundry is important. Going to school, work and fitting time into my schedule for homework is important. But it is not more important than studying my scriptures, going to church, partaking of the sacrament, attending institute, and taking time to improve myself and becoming a better Elena.



I was able to use this story to my advantage this past semester. It was my second year being in the Easter Pageant, and I was going to school and working. My mornings would start around 6 am, with either school or work, and I'd be lucky to get to bed before 1 am. I'd have around an hour between work/school to get ready and check off things from my To-Do List before heading over to the temple for a practice/performance. The first few days had wore me out. I'd find myself getting agitated with what little time I had to study, clean my room and even put my clothes in the dirty clothes hamper. Besides the lack of sleep, a few very unexpected events happened, and I was faced with some very difficult trials that seemed very heavy to carry.

I'm not writing this for anyone to feel one bit sorry for me, because I don't feel that way at all. I learned something very valuable this past Easter season. One night in particular I was pre-greeting with a fellow cast member, and she started talking about some things that were difficult for her as she made the sacrifice to be there. It hit me at that moment that we all had our own trials and that time was precious to everyone. It was humbling as I looked at my trials, and then to the families with
numerous children, or the newlywed who worked two jobs, or the new mom who just had a baby. I felt like I had it easy.

The point of me sharing that is to express my gratitude for being in the pageant. I realized that all who were there each and every night had chosen to be there. We chose to sacrifice our time and our energy to bear our testimonies of the Savior through acting, dancing, and singing. We put our lives on hold for two months for such an amazing missionary experience. I've had impressions, and felt things that will have a lasting effect on me. The Spirit was so strong, and I know that everyone who
attended felt it, whether or not they knew what it was. What a marvelous thing to me to be able to share my love and gratitude for my Savior, Jesus Christ, through dancing. I have danced for years and participated in many different programs. I get sick with nerves and anxiety before I perform, despite the years of experience, but every night at the pageant was calming to me. I didn't feel nervous once. I knew it was the Spirit that was there, helping us to share the message to the thousands that attended.

I was blessed with the opportunity of my extended family being there. Some were here on vacation from out of state, but made tim
e in their schedules to come. I know that it was mainly to support me since they had never seen me perform; but I also knew that just by them being there- for whatever reason- they would feel the Spirit. To add, they are non-members. After the performance, I went out to talk with them and see what they thought. They gave very positive feedback about what they liked and what impressed them. Someone very dear to me had grown up a member, but had grown apart from the church through the years. They came to the pageant, and when I asked what their favorite part was they responded that they liked the part where Christ was on the cross. I asked why and they said it was very powerful, and even though they didn't voice it, I could see in their eyes that it had affected them. To see my dear friends and family respond to it in that way made the sacrifice to be there all worth it. If all it did was to awake their hearts and minds to the feelings of the Spirit proved to me that what I was doing was right. The last week or so didn't become less busier or stressful, but I was able to push on with new strength.

We had chosen that good part. I could go on and on with memories and experiences from this past Easter season, and even more that don't revolve around the pageant. However, my message to each and every one of us to reflect on our lives as it is happening around us. Ask ourselves: Am I choosing that good part, daily? Am I putting my time and energy into something that will make me a better me such as diligent scripture study? Am I serving those in need, being a friend to those who don't have many, or being and example to those who just don't know? I want my answer to be that I am choosing the good part, I am diligently reading my scriptures and reaching out to those who just need a hand. By doing this, I know that we can all become closer to our Savior, Jesus Christ. In all the commotion of our busy lives, He is there to lead and guide us. When things get tough or you feel alone, know that He is there. In Matthew 11:28-30 He speaks "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Ta
ke my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly of heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light". We can make the necessary changes in our lives, and know that what we are doing is right. He will never turn his back on us. It is my testimony and prayer that He lives, Amen.






1 comment:

Lisa Andrews said...

Wow. What a powerful message, E. I know we've briefly talked about those things before, but I'm glad you took the time to write that down. Thank you.