Friday, September 12, 2008

Taking Control


"God is good. He is eager to forgive. He wants us to perfect ourselves and maintain control of ourselves. He does not want Satan and others to control our lives. We must learn that keeping our Heavenly Father's commandments represents the only path to total control of ourselves, the only way to find joy, truth, and fulfillment in this life and in eternity."
Spencer W. Kimball, "The Gospel of Repentance" Ensign, June 1983

I am taking an institute class on the book of Isaiah. I know- its a tough book to swallow. I don't know very much at all about it, so I am very excited to begin the process of understanding what it teaches. I also am lucky to have a great teacher, who is very well learned in the Gospel and Isaiah in particular. He knows so much, and I marvel at the references he can bring up and many experiences he ties into the teachings. He has an email list for those taking his class so he can send quotes and information that he finds helpful as we study outside of class during the week. In one email, this quote (and more of the talk) was given.

I particularly like the fact that Spencer W. Kimball tells us that we must take control of our lives. We must not place the blame on others or our surrounding environment for our own life. It is only what we make of it. I know that I find myself blaming others or circumstances, whether consciously or not. It's as if my happiness and who I am is determined by what is found around me. What a lie I'm feeding myself! A good friend wrote me about something he has learned recently. He sees a difference in those around him that are happy, and those that are struggling, because of the way they choose to live. It is simple- they are happy because they choose to be happy. They choose to start with themselves and make that conscious effort to improve who they are and work outward, by improving their environment. Vice versa for those who are unhappy. They are depending on those around them and their environment to make them happy.

I find it interesting that he would say the path to obtaining complete control of ourselves is to obey the Lord's commandments. In doing so, we can learn to forgive, to honor, to trust, to be honest, to love, to care for, to understand, and to serve. In addition to those Top Ten, we are urged to "come unto Christ, and be perfected in him" (Moroni 10:32). What better way is there than to follow the direct footsteps of our Savior, Jesus Christ? There is none other more perfect who has walked upon this earth, can we ask for a better example?

More often than not, our own pride can get in the way of achieving this goal. Who's guilty of this? I know I am. More than I like to readily admit. My teacher paraphrased a talk by someone who said pride is a universal sin, in which the only anecdote is humility. In the same talk, pride is not only defined as being haughty and conceited, but also by being envious, unforgiving and coveting. I can find numerous occasions where I have been on both spectra's of that pride cycle, sometimes without even noticing. The worst part is that I am hindering my own ability to take complete control of myself and halting my progression.

In our day, when TV and newspapers tell stories to make money, and people become so overcome with jealousy and hate, it is so important to keep holding onto the iron rod. To take a step back and find where our hearts truly are. I know that as we center our life on Christ and follow His example, we can find joy and happiness unattainable elsewhere. I'm grateful for the examples of my close friends and family whose testimonies are fuel to my fire. Their examples lift me up. For the love of my Heavenly Father, and Jesus Christ. And for my testimony, which keeps me grounded and always in search of ways to strengthen it and push myself to greater heights.

1 comment:

Lisa Andrews said...

Well done my friend. Your thoughts are inspiring. Keep 'em coming. ;-)