Monday, September 29, 2008

Testimony

I've had the opportunity to attend two ward campouts the past two weekends, once with my old ward and once with my new branch. For each, we had a testimony meeting around the campfire. I was able to sit and listen to the solid testimonies of my peers, and reflect on my own testimony and where I stood. Since the beginning of summer, I have not been able to find balance in my own life and schedule. Just when I think I've got it down, the Lord sure knows how to show me who's really in charge here.

On the drive up to camp, a song came on the radio sung by Randy Travis called "Three Wooden Crosses". The chorus specifically is what touched me:


I guess it's not what you take

When you leave this world behind you

It's what you leave behind you when you go


I've thought a lot about what I have done in this life, in my short 20 years, to make a difference. Did I reach out to others when they needed a friend? Did I give my all in school, and work? Did I spend enough time with my family, and do they know my goals and aspirations? Do I share my testimony enough that people know who I believe in, and what I stand for? Am I honest in all that I do?


As I think of my answers to each question, I realize there is much that I need to improve on. I have yet to find a balance in life, and I find that when times are tough my focus seems to be on me. The farmer taught his son about faith and love, the teacher left wisdom with her students, and the preacher affected generations by giving his Bible to the hooker. Beyond this life, all we take with us are our relationships with those whom we associate and our knowledge that we attain. These people left priceless parts of them behind; it wasn't the money, clothes, or worldly possessions left that defined how successful they were. They looked beyond themselves, to the future and those around them. They made a difference, even in just one person's life.


I am going to take the initiative to look beyond Elena. Find ways to bear one another's burdens, comfort those who stand in need of comfort, and be a friend to all I meet.


I don't take the opportunity enough to share my testimony, so here is one taken. I do have a testimony that my Savior lives. He died for me, for you, and for all who have ever lived upon the earth. But most importantly, he arose, and lives today! Through him, we can return to live with our Father in Heaven once more. I know that I have a Heavenly Father who loves me, and is aware of me. Of each of us. He knows what we need, before we even ask. I know that by faith, works, and abiding the commandments, I can return to Him one day. I know that families can be together forever, and that is something I am so grateful for. I pray that I can spend the rest of eternity with my family, and with my own family I will have one day. My testimony is my most prized possession; something that can never be taken away from me.

My testimony is what I want to leave behind. If anything is to be remembered of me, I hope it is this: I KNOW God lives! The Gospel of Jesus Christ IS true!





3 comments:

Katie said...

I am so glad you made another post. It has been far too long. Your words always uplift and inspire me to be a better person.

Lisa Andrews said...

Uhh... why does it say you posted this in September?

EJ said...

Because I started writing this in September... and I got on the other day and realized I never finished the very end. haha... just a lil late :)