Monday, September 8, 2008

The Right Place

Lisa has been begging me to write a new blog for a long time now. Not because she thinks I'm a good writer, but because work gets slow and she needs some new reading material :) Here ya go!

I thought I'd write about a small experience I had last weekend. I went to California with my family to visit my older brother, Frank. He and his wife and son are stationed at Camp Pendleton, in Oceanside. Its nice to go visit and have a FREE place to stay, and considering he gets out next month, we figured we better get one more good trip in.

It had been over a year since I had gone on a trip with my family. I had a lot of fun, but I also realized (once again) that I am not the most patient person in the world. In fact- I admit its a huge weakness of mine! Especially having lived on my own for the past couple years, I do things in my own time and at my own leisure. It was nice to leave home (reality) and get away and relax. We had a lot of fun at the beach, and even went to the San Diego Zoo while we were there. We've been to Disneyland and Sea World a few times prior- so we thought we'd skip those this time.

Sunday came around, and I really felt the need to attend Sacrament meeting at a local church building. So I found a YSA ward on California St, borrowed my brother's car, and headed out. I am pretty familiar with the major roads in this area, having visited quite a few times during their stay in Oceanside, but also have a very good sense of direction. So- I felt a little confident in my ability to NOT get lost on my way. I wrote down a few streets and turns and got myself to the church building in about 20 minutes, taking my time driving through the neighborhoods. Dreaming of a life in a gorgeous home on the beaches of California. As I noticed how different it was from Arizona, I felt just a little out of place.

As soon as I reached the church building- which was beautiful, with lush green grass and palm trees galore- I felt calm. The moment I walked into the chapel doors I felt "at home". I knew that even though I was in an unfamiliar area, I was in the right place. As I walked in, there were no familiar faces. I found a spot to sit and waited the few minutes for the Sacrament service to start. The talks given were great, and the Spirit was strong. As the meeting closed- I was greeted by a few people, and then started to head out and head back home to meet my family.

However, as I left the church building, I felt impressed to turn around and go back in. I wasn't sure what to do, because I knew I was out of town with my family and wanted to spend time with them. But I knew I wanted to feel more of the Spirit, knowing I wouldn't feel it like I did at that moment if I went home. My mom called me at then and said they were just relaxing at home and that I could take my time, if I wanted to stay for the rest I could. So- I did. And it was worth it.

I ended up being late for Sunday School and I didn't want to walk in late. I found some comfy chairs right outside the room where I could still hear what they were talking about. As I sat, a young man walked out of class and stood around where I was. He didn't say anything for a minute, so I started a conversation with him. He was 18, and had just recently graduated. He hadn't been to church in a very long time but due to recent events felt the need to change something in his life, and knew he needed to go back to church. We talked about a lot of different things, and the differences in AZ and CA. About school, work, and many other things. He asked if I go to church a lot back home, and I told him I did. Then we started talking about missions, and if he wanted to go on one. Due to recent events in my life, my testimony of serving a mission has grown immensely. I know without a doubt that they are one of the greatest things a person can do. It is a huge step in helping our Father in Heaven bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man, by sharing the gift of the Gospel with others. So- as we talked he expressed the fact that he didn't think he could, but he would love to. I didn't want him to think he had to say things I "wanted to hear", so I asked him why he thought that. We went on for a while, and he mentioned I sounded a little bit like his mom- good thing? Hmm...I doubt it. However, I quickly shut my mouth- not wanting to offend him. Nevertheless, he stuck around and really enjoyed chatting.

As Sunday School ended, some people came out and he introduced me to his friends. They were pretty nice and invited me to hang out with them that coming weekend, but considering I'd be in AZ it wouldn't work out very easily. I appreciated the welcome they gave me. As the 3rd block started (combined RS/EQ)- I got up to leave. He asked if I was going to class, and I said no. (Side Note: I gave him crap for skipping out of Sunday school to leave and go to McDonald's to grab a bite to eat. Which didn't help my cause at all that I said I was leaving.) He gave me a bit of crap in return, so I told him I'd go to class if he went to class too, so I would know someone. He not too excitedly agreed, but came anyways. The class ended being really good, and he was glad he went. I didn't stick around much longer, being gone for more time than I expected to be. So we said our goodbyes and I left feeling very uplifted.

It was really nice to talk to this young man, and be able to share a little bit of my testimony with him and he with me. As I grow older, I notice a lot of ME in the younger people that I meet. Although I am only 20, and feel young myself, I still think it is neat. This experience with this guy made me think of the gratitude I have for those who never gave up on me. Who pushed me to be better, to stick around for church, and to reach my goals. I am grateful for the good friends and family that I have, and for the change that I have made in the past two years. Its been a complete 180- and I still have much, much more to learn and accomplish!

What it comes down to is that the church is the same no matter where you are. It is constant- and unchanging. It is either true, or its not. But it is, I know it is- whether you are in California, Mexico or Hawaii. Our Savior died for the people in all those places. Our Heavenly Father is aware of each and every one of His children. He loves all of them, individually and unconditionally. I know I was supposed to be at that ward on that Sunday. The Spirit I felt in those meetings is the same Spirit I feel back home. I am so grateful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and I know that it is true.

Without a doubt.

2 comments:

Lisa Andrews said...

You're right. You were the for a reason. It's like what Mortichi says to Esther, "Who knows but that you have been saved for such a time as this?" Thanks for finally writing that down.

Anonymous said...

Hey Elena, I just wanted to say thanks for writing that. It made me realize a few things....Thanks again.

-Eric